There’s a number of crawl space materials you’ll need to know if you’re planning on encapsulating your crawl space.
In this article, we’re going to discuss crawl space products, vapor barriers, tools and everything else you need to know to get prepared for your crawl space project.
Crawl Space Materials Needed
- Crawl space vapor barriers
- Crawl space tools
- Crawl space dehumidifiers
Before you can start your crawl space project, you have to analyze what you’re going to need.
What are you going to need for your crawl space project? If you’re doing a complete crawl space encapsulation project, there’s a lot you will need.
Light Your Crawl Space
If you don’t have a light source, you’re going to need lighting.
Clean Your Crawl Space
You’ll need to clean the entire crawl space before you start your measurements.
There’s no sense guessing, you want to be accurate with all your calculations. Here’s what you should be paying attention too.
- The length of ALL your foundation walls
- The height of ALL your foundation walls
- The location of the lowest point in your crawl space
- The location of your access to the crawl space
- Size of your access
- So you have any water problems? Have you ever seen ANY amount of water standing in the crawl space? Are there stains on the foundation walls?
- Does your home have air conditioning?
- Does your crawl space currently have foundation vents to the outdoors?
Choose Your Crawl Space Products Carefully
You likely know all products are not created equal. In other words, don’t think you can get by with plastic sheeting in your crawl space. It’s a waste of your time, money and effort.
We won’t call out any specific products on the market but we will tell you what we recommend.
We recommend the 12 mil and 20 mil SilverBack crawl space vapor barrier. The SilverBack is the top rated crawl space vapor barrier brand in the world. You can Google it to see the reviews for yourself.
There’s a video below that shows you how to install a crawl space liner.
Crawl Space Tools
There’s a number of tools you will likely need for your project.
- Crawl space shovel
- Crawl space pick axe
- Crawl space knife
- Replacement blades
- 100′ tape measure
- Hammer drill (not a drill with a “hammer” feature)
- Reciprocating saw (for plumbing work, cutting roots and buried debris)
- Screw drivers
- Wire staples
- Electrical cords w/GFI
- Crawl Space Lights
- Organic mold cleaner
- Crawl space broom
- Small vacuum
- Heavy workshop paper towels
Installing Crawl Space Vapor Barriers
There’s several ways you can install your crawl space vapor barriers.
I’d recommend reviewing this article by Crawl Space Repair.
They give a detailed account how to install your crawl space liners.
Taping Your Crawl Space
You need to make sure you’re taping your crawl space vapor barriers correctly.
You’ll need waterproof seam tape.
Pay attention to the video above and watch how they tape their crawl space.
Crawl Space Air
There’s also a need to condition the air of your crawl space.
A crawl space dehumidifier will do that for you.
The less moisture in your crawl space, the better. Your dehumidifier will allow you to control the air.